Monday, May 18, 2009

For Magazine

1. What went well for you during the process of creating this magazine?
I had a lot of pictures that I could use. Choosing pictures was the easy part.

2. What challenges did you face as you moved from an early draft or idea to a final product?
Making my essay make sense. Because the wording was fire department jargon so I had to make the general public understand.

3. What other examples of work—student and professional—stood out as exemplary and served as a good model for your own work?
I used a lot of the national geographic magazine ideas because national geographic has a lot of photo essay style pages.
1. Overall, when you think about the big picture of your writing, what improved? How did it get better? Why?
My work is now easier to understand. In my earlier drafts, I had a lot of Fire Department jargon like "fire prop" which i changed to... and "PASS" which i changed from Pull Aim Squeeze Sweep to "I am applying a fundamental tactic that firefighters use (known as PASS): Pull the tab, Aim at the fire, Squeeze the handle, Sweep the base of the fire (PASS)."
2. Overall, when you think about the big picture of your writing, what still needs work? What do you think will help you improve? Why?
I think that, getting my final draft back made me relize how much people had helped me. I got plenty of advice on what i should do and some contrdicted others advice. I think that I would choose more carfully the kind of advice I took to make the entire essay sound worded the same.
3. Specifically, show us something that improved and describe the path it took to get better. You can quote your article, your drafts, link to evidence, etc.
My introduction got a lot better. It after a few revisions I had:
"It takes more then showing up to be a hero. The actions that build up to a point where someone can help is often overlooked. The time it takes to be trained is on these peoples free time, and the courage to actually act is another story. A Battalion Chief and a CERT member walk to their destination as they train to someday save your life."
This is what went into the magazine:
"Being a hero takes more then arriving at a disaster scene. We often overlook the actions the actions that build up to a point where someone can help. Volunteers known as Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) do their part in a major disaster. CERT members are trained in fire suppression, light search and rescue and first aid. When CERT has done their initial assessment, firefighters continue the high-level dangers. In this picture, a CERT member is giving a man a blanket to stay warm and to prevent hypothermia."
4. Describe something specific (or a few things!) that you learned about writing.
What really hepled me is the "Concerts not Pancakes" sentance structure I have found improves my writing a lot.

No comments: