Friday, September 4, 2009

What kind of Plants do I want to Grow?

Pumpkins- Sara wants to grow pumpkins also. I think that it would be really cool to carve my own pumpkin. Also I think how they grow on vines are really cool. I also like the idea of pumpkin pie…Carrots- I think it would be interesting to watch grow. Since they grow underground it would be cool not to see the outcome until its ready to eat.

Apples- I have always wanted an apple tree to have endless apples would be wonderful.

Carrots- They taste good and grow underground which is interesting

Top Two

Pumpkin-

A) Squash

B) Growing season- May or June

C) germinate- 5-7 days

D) a few months

E) has long vines but can be trimed and do not interfere with other plants

F) Needs rich soil

G) Keep moist but not drenched. Don’t let the soil dry out

H) Planted next to bean or corn patches rich soil

Needs a sunny spot (6 hours a day)

http://www.informeddemocracy.com/pumpkin/growing.html

Jack-O-Lanterns come from an irish myth “Stingy Jack”

Carrots- 65 degrees for dirt

A) Vegetable

B) Growing season- Spring, cool climates

C) germinate- about two weeks

D) 2-3 months

E) 3/4ths of an inch apart

F) 6.5 ph

G) one inch of water per week from irrigation

H) beans, chives, cucumbers, flax

Carrots originated in Afghanistan (they were never a orange color they were red, white and yellow.

No comments: