Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Chance to Change

a few topic brought up today in a discussion revolving around "Farmer in Chief" by Michael Pollan brought up some interesting points.
"It is the people up top in the government that have the power to change" stated a person in this discussion This is what I have to say:

The overall agreement is that most of the power is in the government which is out of our hands. A sentence like that can seem very pessimistic however, the government is made up of people who were once high school students and chose to go work in the government. I am a high school student, all the kids i was talking to about this are too and will in a few years have the opportunity to be the ones with the chance to change.

Food seems like such a hard thing to change. With such a strong foundation it seems at least to me that my efforts of the efforts of my class may just be a eyedropper worth of water into a large glass bowl.

During the discussion I started to wonder why I spend money on such a low quality product as industrial food. I would never want to waste my hard earned money. The fact that I have been spending money on food that has been chemically enhanced it very disturbing.

The meat that I am eating isn't the best quality that it could be. The point is I am not that picky and I am grateful for what I have but growing a cow or any other type of meaty animal to eat, i see nothing wrong with it, it feeds and keeps humans full. It is the fact that chemicals are making it so that the meat is not as nutritional as it is naturally suppose to be.

It is the fact that because people are lazy I have to compromise my health so that the farmers I pay to grow my food have it easier. If the food was still good for me and full quality that grown crops and animals are suppose to have I would say yeah lets make life easier on the farmer! But to make physical labor that has been done for centuries easier and because of this have it affect my personal body and then on top of that not give me much of a choice because the organic food is out of my spending limit is a slap in the face.

If we take the time to educate people about issues that directly affect them I have a feeling they will listen, I am being educated and I am listening.

No comments: