Tuesday, October 21, 2008

See, Hear, Repeat.

I was asked the question, "How has the Internet affected the way that Americans approach democracy? How do the Internet and its effects fit into the historical context of technology and democracy in America?"

The First question seems pretty obvious, with more resources at the tips of any ones fingers, as easy as pressing the enter key and information is almost instantly given. This has a lot to do with the availability of the Internet. Because information is so easy (and with websites like blogger where it is free) to post, there is a lot of stuff said that is wrong. There is a website; factcheck.org that tries to set the truth straight. The reason that I bring this up is because in democracy every person votes for every issue, sometimes trying to figure out what is true from false is hard. If I were to base my views on what I read on the Internet, there is a chance that it will not be true or only a small portion will be right. Trying to inform "the people" about what is true or sometimes trying to bend the truth which is also very easy to do.

Historically, the Internet is very new. Just in my years I have seen technology advance to heights I couldn't at the time imagine possible. There are a lot of connections that could be made about the decline in our country and the up bringing of technology. I can say that myself being a living example of this, I learn more and get less distracted when reading a book or doing activities that are more socially involved then "surfing the internet". Also it takes months to publish a book so when it is published it has gone through a lot of revisions and just like this blog which is on the internet, my blog has only been revised once, now twice.

No comments: